Monday, April 18, 2011

Woe to the Pharisee in me.

One of my favorite chapters in the gospels is Matthew 23.  Jesus, using direct and creative language, jabs at the Pharisees for their hypocrisy.  My favorite lines include:

  • You travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves.
  • You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!
  • You clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.
  • You are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness.
  • You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell? 
Jesus left little doubt what his true feelings were towards the Pharisees. But why the outburst? I used to think this chapter was there for my benefit - for me to use as a defense for my sarcasm and direct speech - but I'm pretty sure that line of reasoning is a stretch. Or maybe Jesus had become frustrated with the constant questioning and criticism He received by the religious leaders throughout his ministry. But upon close reflection, I don't think that Jesus is speaking out of frustration in Matthew 23. Jesus would have understood that the Scribes and Pharisees were serving a purpose in the redemptive story - their hatred of Jesus would lead to him being crucified - and paying the price for our sin. I can think of three reasons Jesus spoke so harshly to the Scribes and Pharisees, and there is something to be learned in each case.

  1. Jesus was in the last few days of his earthly ministry. Could it be that Jesus was so committed to do the will of the Father that he was willing to incite his opponents to action, knowing it would lead to His arrest and eventual crucification, paying the price for our sins? Could it be His outburst at the pharisees was for our benefit, my benefit, after all?  
  2. Jesus outburst in Matthew 23 gives us a view of how much Jesus hates religion. Religion is trying harder to be better to earn my way to God's favor. Religion stands in stark contrast to the Gospel: Jesus in my place. Our behavior has nothing to do with our salvation - the better we understand this, the more our salvation will drive us to our knees, and our behavior will be changed out of gratitude.
  3. Matthew 23 closes with some of the most tender words Jesus ever uttered: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!" Jesus was deeply grieved that the "religion" of the pharisees had managed to lead a nation astray. A religious system of works keeps you very busy, and in that busyness you may find you miss the opportunity to see your Savior.
Matthew 23 remains one of my favorite chapters. I am grateful my salvation is based on Jesus' works, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment