Thursday, October 6, 2011

"He Changed My Life"





"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure -- these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important." Steve Jobs, 2005.





Last night a man who changed my life lost his battle with cancer. I wish I could have met him.

As I was packing up and heading to work this morning, I grabbed my case ("man purse") which contains my MacBook Pro, my IPad, and usually my IPhone. I have already searched the house for my IPhone - I hope it's at work.

I graduated college in 1986. Steve Jobs had invented "Lisa", the first graphical computer interface to use a mouse, in 1983. I went to work for a real estate firm outside Chicago, and the month I arrived personal computers were for the first time being placed on employees desk. Advantage young guy. Although I had never used a computer, I didn't have to re-learn old ways of doing things. By 1989, in what now feels like a previous, I had started my own computer consulting business.

In the 1990's, I was one of the first to own the Newton, a personal manager. I came with a stylus, and could somehow read my handwriting. It wasn't Newton's fault I proved unmanageable.

I switched to Mac computers kicking and screaming. I was a PC guy, and couldn't understand why I would pay more for a machine with less "processing power". The result - goodbye viruses, hello home network that works. For some reason, the PC programs I use to trade stocks and and study the Bible run faster on my Mac and they don't crash. It's Voodoo.  

Last Sunday, I preached from my IPad for the first time. All my notes on the screen - sliding my finger to turn the pages. The ESV Bible is downloaded and with two clicks I switch from my notes to the text. Genius.

Today, at church, I will listen to music on iTunes.  I downloaded it from the iTunes Store. While writing, I am listening to a James MacDonald sermon on iTunes. Apple is my homepage. Sermon prep requires me to use my iMac, iPad, and iTunes.

Next week, I will trade in my iPhone 3G (assuming I can find it) for the new iPhone 4S. The 4S has a new feature called Siri, which allows me to talk to my phone rather than on my phone. Who needs friends?

Tomorrow, all my data will live on something called iCloud.

I will watch Apple stock today - it will be interesting to see how the market responds to the loss of the company's visionary. What is next for Apple?

More importantly, what is next for Steve Jobs. 1 Thessalonians 4:13 says: "But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep (dead), that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope." In one verse, all of mankind is divided into two groups: Brothers and Others. "Brothers" we are told, will be raised with Jesus, their Savior, and there is no reason to grieve when they die. "Others" have "no hope" - it is that clear-cut.

What determines which group you belong to - are you a "brother" or a "other". The next verse makes this clear: "For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again". Brothers believe in the resurrection of Jesus. Brothers understand that without Jesus, they stand condemned before a Holy God. Brothers understand that it has nothing to do with how brilliant or successful you life may have been. It is not about you - it is about Jesus.

In what I have read, there is no indication Steve Jobs knew Jesus. If this is true, for all his vision, leadership, success, charm, and greatness, he has no hope. Heart-breaking.

Do you know Jesus?




    No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.— Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Speech


1 comment:

  1. Interesting. The original 'tablets' had information downloaded directly to Moses on a mountain. Not from iCloud to iPad, but from the Great I Am. There's perspective for us:-)

    ReplyDelete