Friday, November 4, 2011

What is your authority for "Truth"

This article, originally posted on the church leaders.com website, is a great example of why Mars Hill Church in Grand Rapids scares me. My comments follow the article.



Rob Bell's Replacement 

Speaks Out on Bell and Hell









Editor's note: Shane Hipps, the teaching pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church, recently posted his thoughts surrounding Rob Bell's book and the issue of hell. The discussion about hell is still very important for the church today and we encourage you to share your thoughts in the comment section below--we also encourage you to be civil and use Scripture to back up your arguments. Tomorrow, we will feature a post on hell from Francis Chan. 
There is a lot of talk these days about heaven and hell. Recently, a handful of best-selling books have been published on this topic (23 Minutes in Hell, Erasing Hell, Heaven Is for Real, God Wins). Some of these are in direct response to Rob Bell’s book Love Wins (incidentally and ironically, a book almost entirely concerned with this life, not the next one).
As a Christian who believes in the Bible and Jesus, I have found the intensity and certainty of the debate all very bizarre. It’s strange that so much passion and ink has been spilled over something that is all speculation.
Here’s what I mean: If you died, took pictures, and came back to life again, then you would know with certainty what happens after death. Of course, you would only know what happens to you, not everyone else. But if you haven’t died, you can only speculate about what happens to you and everyone else.
This speculation is perfectly fine. As long as we recognize these are only our beliefs. And beliefs by nature are not certain; they are faith based assumptions. That’s what makes them beliefs. Once you can prove them, they are no longer beliefs; they become a kind of knowing. And the funny thing is once you know, you don’t need to debate anymore.

Don't Miss

I have never died, so I don’t have a theological position on heaven or hell. I can only entertain theological possibilities. There is a big difference.
I take a position when I know something with certainty. Almost always through direct experience. If someone pinches me, I don’t believe they pinched me. I know it. I experienced it. It doesn’t reside somewhere in my head. Nothing to debate. It happened.
I consider a possibility when it’s something I don’t know. This is something I merely believe. Either because someone I trust told me, or the Bible seems to say it, or reason supports it. But until I’ve experienced it, this is only something I believe– a possibility. And possibilities should be held with an open hand, perhaps with some humility and even humor. Who knows, I could be wrong about what I believe?
Now having said this, I’m only aware of one person who died, and I mean really died, like three days dead, and came back to life again. His name was Jesus. Upon his return from the dead, he didn’t believe anymore; now he knew. So if I wanted some indication about what happens after I die, I should probably pay attention to what he said after he came back from the dead.
Here’s what he said about heaven and hell after his resurrection. Nothing. Nada. Zip.
What did he talk about? Here’s just a sampling: He tells his disciples to make students of him (Mt 28:16), to share the good news of liberation in this life (Mk 16:9-20). He says, “Peace be with you,” and “I’m hungry.” (Lk 24:36-41) He says, “Receive the holy breath; now you can forgive sins.” (Jn 20:22) He says, “It’s me, really, touch my side” (Jn 20:27), and “The fishing is better on the right side of the boat.” (Jn 21:6) He says “Let’s eat” (Jn 21), “Feed my sheep; now follow me” (Jn21:18-20), and “Stop worrying about the future and the fate of other people; just follow me.” (Jn 21:22; Acts 1:7-8)
Not exactly a systematic theology of the afterlife. Mostly, it’s a repeated invitation to trust and follow him and not worry about the future. Apparently, he is also hungry a lot. If anyone had the authority and credibility to provide a coherent-once-and-for-all description of exactly what happens after you die, it would be Jesus upon his return from beyond the beyond. But he didn’t. He didn’t even seem all that interested.
If it were important to him, you’d think he would have written a book about it. Or preached a sermon or two. But he didn’t. After Jesus rose from the dead, he spends his time talking about this life.
It would seem Jesus is more concerned with this life than the next. Perhaps we should be, too.
We only get one, and it’s short. 


My Response:

So let me get this straight: If I do not experience something for myself, I cannot know whether it is true. And, because the Gospels don’t specifically record any post-resurrection teachings of Jesus, any pre-resurrection teachings should be considered less than definitive.

A couple comments:
·                        Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen… And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him. Hebrews 11:1,6
·                        Paul had some pretty definitive things to say about what happens when you die: “But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.” Two groups: brothers and others. Two conditions: brothers have no reason to grieve, others have NO HOPE. The important question to be answered is: What determines a “brother” and an “other”? The next verse answers: “For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.” 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14. Brothers know Jesus. But wait, Paul, writing under the authority of the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21) is not qualified to comment since he has not died. Really?
·                        “The Revelation of Jesus Christ” (Revelation 1:1, 22:16) is a fairly lengthy post-resurrection discourse on the subject of heaven and hell.

When determining what is true and trustworthy, God’s Word trumps experience, opinion, and popularity. I am reminded of Jesus’ words: “And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'" Luke 16:30-31

David Wisen, Pastor, Harvest Bible Chapel Spring Lake




2 comments:

  1. Mr. Hipps argument sounds like something you would hear from a non-christian. This is a pervasive belief today: that you just can't trust the whole of the bible. That it is not the inerrant and sufficient word of God. It's a shame when people who claim to be Christians believe this. It's really horrifying when someone shepards a "church" by leading the people to believe this. 

    Jesus says in Matthew:  "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. (Matthew 7:13, 14 ESV)
          and he immediately follows with verse 15:  "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. (Matthew 7:15 ESV)
             He's saying that the way that leads to life is hard but the way that leads to destruction is easy and false teachers will try to lead people the easy way (to destruction). They do it in the name of Jesus but it is a Jesus of their own design. They say Jesus is the way, but not the only way. That's not what the bible teaches. But it is what people want to hear. It's the easy way. And Jesus is clear where that way leads a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben Butcher - you make me smile! Dave and I love being in small group with you! Keep up the good work...and the good logic!

    ReplyDelete