Thursday, February 2, 2012

Heresy, Association, and Second-Degree Seperation

The Elephant Room  has created quite a stir over what degree of association is appropraite with people who hold to different biblical and doctrinal distinctives. This event has created divisions within conservative evangelical circles, with men I lean into for guidence as a pastor on both sides. Justin Taylor,  Kevin DeYoung, and others have written reviews. Others have been harsh in their critiques of the event, specifically the inclusion of T.D. Jakes in the discussions because of Jakes "heretical" views on the Trinity and alignment wih the prosperity Gospel movement. James MacDonald has resigned from the Gospel Coalition.

I have little desire to blog into the storm of bloggers speaking into this controversy. I have attended both Elephant Room conferences, and my reflections on these events are as follows.


  1. It is easy to be a critic. God has blessed me with allowing me to spend time with some great leaders, both in ministry and in business. I am always reminded of a quote from Theodore Rooseveldt, that I first saw under the glass on the desk of my father-in-law, Robert VanKampen:   "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
  2. It is hard to listen. Before T.D. Jakes spoke a word, there was no way this could possibly end well. Sides were entrenched and while much was said, little was heard. T.D. Jakes is being labeled a "heretic" from both sides of the Trinity debate. Because so much attention before the event was focused on the Trinity issue, concerns over Jake's views related to prosperity and the Gospel were set aside discuss his position on the Trinity. Now the critique is focused on the lack of discussion on prosperity. Impossible to win when sides are already entrenched.
  3. I love James MacDonald. I count it a privilidge to call him a personal friend. I give much credit to him for my spiritual development. He has been a mentor. I think the thing I appreciate most about the Elephant Room is that James has been willing to take risks and absorb a wave of criticism to have influence over others, particularily young pastors. (I look back fondly at the first event when there was a ruckus of including Steven Furtick). It is hard to have influence from the critic's chair. Over our ten-year friendship, James has proven to be loyal while challenging me and helping me grow. James and I have had our differences - he never through me aside. He continues to influence because he has stayed in relationship with me when distancing himself would have been easier. 
  4. I am getting softer. When I was younger, I was more sure that I knew everything. I was quicker on the draw, eager to fight. I have been challenged by James and the Elephant Room to respond not just to a man's words but also to the man, understanding who he is. In the process, I don't think my doctrine or my convictions have drifted, just my pride.  Love does not require us to abandon beliefs, just listen before making judgments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment